Welcome to Valley of Life Forum

A safe place to discuss issues on bereavement and grieving

Post subject: Need to help my sister-in-law
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:51 pm 

My brother in law-in-law (wfie's brother) passed away in Portland earlier this month and my sister-in-law needs to become involved in a support group to help her cope with the loss of her best friend and love of her life. We live out of state and I have had a tough time trying to find support groups that meet in the Portland area in the evenings so Margie can attend without losing time from work.

She acknowledges the need for group support and is anxious to get started but is not computer literate and doesn't know how to go about finding resources. I'd really appreciate some help so that we can be of help to her.

Thanks to all of you and I hope that you, too, have found peace after your losses.

Billy Frank

Post subject: Support Group in Beaverton
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:53 pm 

Dear one,

I am sorry to hear of this loss. I too lost a husband and know this need for support.

There is a Griefshare group that meets at Beaverton Foursquare Church on Walker Rd, Tuesday nights. Contact George Martin at the church, 503-644-9104, or Bonnie Mercer who facilitates. You can find more information at griefshare.org about the format.

This is the "family" that carried me through my season of grief and though I no longer attend due to scheduling conflicts, I can assure you of their caring heart for those who have lost loved ones. Bonnie is a widow also, and a great source of both wisdom and hugs.

Yours in understanding,
Lisa

Post subject: Oregon Support Groups
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:08 pm 

Hi Billy,

Along with Lisa's great suggestion there are also several Grief support groups offered at various locations around Portland. Valley of Life posts these groups monthly in their blog. Here are the ones they had for January.

January Support Groups In Portland Area

Journey Through Grief
Six Session Class for those dealing with the death of a loved one. The classes will discuss symptoms of grief, available resources, coping skills, renewing relationshiops and building memories.
Every Friday, January 9 - February 13, 2009, 10:30am - Noon
Providence Milwaukie Hospital
10150 SE 32nd Avenue, Milwaukie
Contact 503.215.4622, FREE

Journey Through Grief
Six Session Class for those dealing with the death of a loved one. The classes will discuss symptoms of grief, available resources, coping skills, renewing relationshiops and building memories.
Every Monday, January 12 - February 16, 2009, 10:00am - 11:30am
Providence Portland Medical Center
4805 NE Glisan St., Portland

Journey Through Grief
Every Wednesday, January 14 - February 18, 2009, 11:00am - 12:30pm
Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
9205 SW Barnes Road., Portland

Brief Encounters Support Group
A support group for parents who have experienced the death of a child in infancy or pregnancy
Second Monday of each month
Peace House
2116 NE 18th Avenue
Contact 503.699.8006

Post subject: Thanks, ladies!
Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:19 pm 

Lisa and Jillian, thank you both for the input. I have taken the info you've provided and, since my sister-in-law does not have e.mail, will send it to her. Your thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated and I'm sure Margie will find comfort in these support meetings.

Billy Frank