Welcome to Valley of Life Forum

A safe place to discuss issues on bereavement and grieving

Post subject: A Living Memorial: Creative ways to remember (part 1)
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:41 am 

One of the greatest powers we have in healing is choosing how we will remember our loved one. In the case of my husband, who took his own life, it would have been easy for this tragic end to have defined the man. It was my family's purposeful decision that he be remembered for the man he wanted to be, the man he tried to be and the good things we had together.

Steve's memorial service was one of the happiest we have ever experienced. We shared many funny stories, pictures and memories. We were determined to make sure that the more than 400 attendees know the essence of the man that we'd gathered to remember. Many were shocked by his untimely death, knowing nothing of his private struggles. This is just as he would have wished it. Though it was painfully obvious that his secret was out, the end of his life was not allowed to have the final word.

Dear ones, how would your loved one want you to remember them? In the days to come I will share other ideas for creating living memorials that allow the special people in our lives to continue to have a voice. Their unique stories can and must be told.