Welcome to Valley of Life Forum

A safe place to discuss issues on bereavement and grieving

Post subject: Dealing with Bereavenent
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:30 pm 

I wrote on the Valley of Life site last month. I felt braver then. Thought I could deal with this loss. Now I'm realising how difficult it is. It feels like my friend Joanna, went on holiday. The longer she's gone, the more I miss her. You see, because she was disabled I used to see her every day, and for 16 years she's all I had. That's all gone now. I find it hard to remember the pain Joanna had and the peace that death brought her. I just miss her. I've sufferered bereavements before; both with natural deaths and from murder so I know it gets better. I know that I will not attempt suicide because of how I feel now for a number of reasons. Joanna, like my other bereavements loved life, and I won't throw mine away. I also know that one day I'll be smiling without feeling guilty. There is also an irrational reason for not committing suicide and that is that if i kil myself, I don't believe I've any chance of going to the same place Joanna's in (she died a natural death). Oh and forgot. The cat. There's no one else to feed her. She doe'snt understand things like bereavement. I won't tell you your feeling of loss get's better, but you will learn to live with it. You need to remember death is natural and it must be. Just as death is natural, so is bereavement. Thanks for reading what I write. I began this piece feeling quite said. I feel a lot better now until the next bout of tears...

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:00 pm 

I have to thank you Kathy for sharing your feelings and thoughts. What you say is so true and it will help so many people who are suffering the same pain. I felt so lost when my Mom died and though the pain has somewhat faded, there are still certain triggers that seem to open the wound again. But your words so comforting and I just wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

- Miri

Post subject: For Mirimadeline
Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 pm 

I just read your message, and it made my heart swell. It's good to know you're hearing what I write. Selfish, I know. But I like that you know where I'm coming from because you've experienced bereavement. I like that you took your precious time to acknowledge me. I'm not selfish because I haven't lost my mother. She died in 1985, and I know what I felt then. I know what I feel about losing her now. I believe that generally I must find a gift in each life event in order to move on from it. My mother gave me so much. The memories I have of being with her growing up were so good. Those memories are one gift. That she taught me right from wrong successfully. Another gift. There are lots of other gifts. One of the greatest gifts though, that losing my mother taught me is that there are not always second chances to talk in this life. Luckily. she brought me up to say how I feel so we spoke our love for eachother often. But seeing her dead and knowing she could not answer me back taught me that I must be this honest with everyone I care about while I can. Once again. Thanks for your comments on what I've written.